Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Entry #1: The World of Blogging


When it comes to blogs, I have never had an interest in creating one or seeking out to read them. I have always viewed them as another social media tool for people to use. Personally, I very rarely use social media platforms. I do not own a twitter account, Instagram, Snapchat, or blog (until now). I do however own a Facebook account, but I have not been on it in well over two years. When it comes to social media tools, I feel that they are addictive and unhealthy. I have seen numerous TED talks on the issues of Facebook addiction and the realm of online social interaction. In my opinion, these tools further isolate us and diminish what it means to have a face-to-face connection/relationship with someone. With this being said, I also believe that social media platforms can be beneficial in certain scenarios, such as keeping in contact with long-distance friends. When talking about blogs specifically, I have always thought them to be personal rather than academic/scholarly. Upon viewing the many different blogs provided, I have gained some insight.

"AIN'T ABOUT AMAZON!!!"
The first blog I want to talk about is the popular type blogs that gossip about celebrities, drama, and over exaggerate in order to draw a viewer in. The TMZ blog is filled with this type of material. From what I observed, the TMZ homepage uses improper grammar and spelling, along with click-bait 
titles scattered everywhere. These blog stories are filled with drama as far as the eye can see. While this type of blog may entertain people, I do not see the constructive purpose of this blog. For instance, why must we as an audience know about Jenna Dewan going to the gym? What am I supposed to learn or be entertained by? Millions of people go to the gym every day, so why is this specific post important? These questions remain unanswered in my mind; I do not see purpose in knowing that some celebrity went to the gym.
Jenna is spotted after going to the gym.
 The second blog I would like to mention is the Calculated Risk blog. Unlike the TMZ blog, Calculated Risk is more professional/academic. When briefly reading over article posts, I noticed that there are links to external websites that support the topic. In this specific 
image (below), you are able to see a link that leads to a government website and the implementation of graphs/figures. The author is reporting on data, providing sources, and is using a more professional tone. Grammar and spelling errors are nonexistent. I find these types of blogs to be more influential and purposeful than popular blogs. The goal seems to be consistent about informing the audience on a topic that may be useful in a variety of ways.

Details about finances and data.
The last blog I want to mention is the Strobist blog. Scanning over multiple posts, this blog aims to teach people interested in photography and lighting. As seen in the image below, the blog provides tutorials, guides, and even assignment walk-throughs. I would label this blog as casual, but also somewhat academic; its purpose is to teach and inform the audience. I would say the blog has a touch of an academic influence. I find these types of blogs to be my favorite. People are able to read the many posts within this blog and put the information acquired to real use. What is better than learning something you are passionate about and improving your own skills?
Blog featuring links to tutorials, guides, and assignments.

I have to admit that since the beginning of this blog entry, my perspective on blogs and what they were has changed. My initial views on blogs made me think of something such as the TMZ blog; in that sense, I was correct. Although, I did not know that there were more casual/professional blogs that aimed to inform or teach the viewer. It is this aspect that I wish to incorporate into my own blog. I would like my audience to engage in thought, possibly learn something new, or maybe even develop a different perspective on the world around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment